Learn about Classical French in this 5-part series of bilingual articles about the development of French over the centuries.* Click any phrase for the English translation and related grammar lessons.
Note: Some of the tenses in this French article and its English translation don't match! In French, we use the present tense to describe historical events like this to evoke a sense of immediacy, whereas in English, we commonly use the past tense - learn more about historical French tenses.
*The Development of French
- Birth of the French language
- Dialects and regional languages
- Middle French
- Classical French
- Modern French
- Le français du XVIIème et du XVIIIème siècles : une langue qui se fixe
- Le français classique (XVII – XVIIIè siècles)
- Dictionnaire de l'Académie française