Immigrer au Canada

If you dream of immigrating [UK: emigrating] to Canada, this official video has the vital information you need. Below, you’ll find the transcript – click any phrase to read the English and follow links to related French grammar lessons.

kwiziq reader logo

Learn more

Test your French against the CEFR standard
Loading your Kwiz

Comments3 Comments

Pieter de Beer Strydom

10 February 2017

1 replies

Hi Laura In your pre-exercise briefing for the above translation exercise, you state, "immigrate" as "(UK emigrate)". This appears to me that the American way of saying it is "immigrate"; and the British way is "emigrate"? However, my understanding is that, standing in Canada, I say someone "immigrates (in) to Canada; while emigrating (from) Britain". So, I emigrate from (Latin: ex: ) Britain and simultaneously, for a Canadian at home, I would immigrate into (Latin: in) Canada. I'm just clearing my mind. May I add, Laura your website is awesome! Regards Pieter

Laura K. Lawless

13 February 2017

Bonjour Pieter, Yes, this was an interesting discovery I made while writing this post. I'm American and originally wrote "immigrate" and my British colleague said I'd made a mistake, that the correct verb is "emigrate." So we googled and discovered that Americans and Canadians make the distinction between immigrate (to go to) and emigrate (to come from), whereas the British use "emigrate" for both. Vive la différence ! :-)

Pieter de Beer Strydom

10 February 2017

Your Translation facility with the "one-click" correct translation verification is BRILLIANT. I see this facility in the "Immigrate to Canada" article. Congratulations, this is the best translation verification system ever. I used to use Duolingo for French instruction, but they dropped their translation "Immersion". Thank you so much for yours. Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Receive notifications of new posts by email.

Our Facebook Page

Follow Kwiziq French on Twitter